Friday, October 31, 2008

Loitering

"Loitering" 18" x 18" oil on stretched canvas.
At what turned out to be the height of our autumn color I traveled out to the country and met up with some accomodating bovines. This pretty gal was hanging out under a tree full of character.

Traveling four plus hours as a child to my grandparents home across the prairies and farmlands of middle America, I came to appreciate cows. We'd stop periodically to get some fresh air and stretch our legs. More often than not I'd have an opportunity to pet a curious cow standing along the fence. I'd forgotten how inquisitive they are, until a few weeks ago. As my husband and I stood in the road to take pictures a group of lounging cows began to become interested in what we were doing. One standing cow began her slow walk toward us, then those that were laying down, stood up to follow. It was a strange feeling to have all these cows heading our way.


I was inspired to capture some of these images in paintings, and so I have.



In this close up of the painting you can see the white in the cow's eye. I was excited to be able to capture her pretty eye (s).


Here you can see the detail of the corn field in the distance.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Just beautiful!

Hope everyone is having a Happy Halloween and a Blessed Samhain!

Ruth Welter said...

Just lovely Mary....

Ruth